Evangelical Christians converting and becoming Orthodox
There have been many Evangelicals who have been seeing the truth of Jesus in the Eucharist. They have been discovering the writings of the early Church Fathers. They see the division among Protestants and Evangelicals and conclude, rightly that the Evangelical model doesn't work. It is not consistent with Christ's call to unity. It has resulted in 30,000 different denominations each claiming to be right.
Many of these faithful Christians, find themselves at the doors of the Orthodox Church. They see the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist, the love of the early Church, a beautiful and reverent liturgy that goes back to the early days of Christianity. They also like that their is no recognition of the Magisterium in Rome, no central Pope, no purgatory, there are allowances for divorce and contraception, and a kind of middle ground between the Evangelical Church and the Catholic Church. I humbly submit, that the reason the Orthodox Church is more Protestant in their theology than the Catholics is because they have departed from the teachings of the fathers of the Orthodox church on these issues. Our prayer is that the Orthodox Church will return to it's roots regarding divorce, contraception, and the primacy of the Bishop of Rome, (which still gives autonomy to local bishops) and ultimately that we will once again have unity between the the eastern and western Church.
One of the most well known converts to Orthodoxy is Frank Schaeffer, is the son of the famous Protestant theologian Frances Schaeffer.
In his last days, Frances A. Schaeffer came closer and closer to converting to Catholicism. His last book was called "The Great Evangelical Disaster."click here if player won't work in your browser.
Lord Jesus, let Your prayer of unity for Christians
become a reality, in Your way.
We have absolute confidence
that you can bring your people together,
we give you absolute permission to move.
Show all Catholic/Orthodox topics
- Orthodox/Catholic Timeline
- Discussion on the Pope, the Bishop of Rome
- Married Priests
- Why more books in the Orthodox Bible than the Catholic Bible?
- Holy Fire
- Decomposed bodies of Saints
- Mary's Assumption
- Immaculate Conception
- Was Peter the Rock?
- Nicene Creed Text
- Purgatory dialogue with an Orthodox Christian
- Does the Orthodox Church predate the Catholic Church?
- The Orthodox Bible. Did the Council of Nicea II confirm the Council of Carthage
- The 1054 Split between Catholic and Orthodox
- Orthodox position on divorce
- Orthodox position on Contraception
- The Crusade sack of Constantinople
- Did the Apostle Andrew establish the Church in Constantinople?
- Why can't babies receive communion in the Catholic Church?
- Why can Orthodox Christians receive Catholic Communion but Catholics can't receive Orthodox Communion?
- The history of the Church in Bulgaria
- Protestant Reformation
- Heresies - listed
- Has the Orthodox Church changed on significant issues?
- If Peter had primacy, why did James make decision (Acts 15)?
- Is Papal infallibility a "one man council"?
- Is Peter the Rock of Matthew 16:18?
- Are the other Patriarchs dependent on Rome?
- Did Rome force Latin on the Eastern Churches?
- Why did the Pope have a Kingdom?
- Evangelicals becoming Orthodox
- Did Catholics force "Mortal Sin" on eastern churches?